By Rick Law of Law Elder Law LLP, providing Solutions For Estate Planning, Guardianship, Nursing Home Care, and Elder Abuse Financial Recovery
Kerry Peck, Esq., renowned partner of Peck Bloom
and Diana Law, Esq., partner of Law Elder Law were recently tapped by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) to present on the subject of “Ethical Issues in Guardianships.” They were joined by the Honorable Jane Louise Stuart, Circuit Judge, Probate Division, Circuit Court of Cook County, Chicago.
Kerry and Diana have been working tirelessly to focus their practices by litigating tough guardianship and disputed trust and estate administration cases. Their recent presentation covered a number of topics:
- Alternatives to Guardianship: An overview of factors which give rise to the need for a guardianship, and when an attorney should recommend to the client to see other remedies.
- Guardian’s Obligations to Property: An overview of the knotty and difficult role of fiduciary relationship and the high standard and obligation of the guardian to safeguard the estate.
- Guardian’s Obligations with Regard to the Person
- Obligation to Insure the Ward Lives in the Least Restrictive Environment
- Sterilization and the Illinois Guardianship Act
- Factors to Consider Regarding a Ward’s Medical Treatment
- Communication and Decision Making Obligations
- Best Interest vs. Substituted Judgment Standard
- Informed Consent
- Obligation to Terminate or Limit the Guardianship
- Consultations with Family and Others
- End of Life Decisions
If you or one of your loved ones needs help with a tough guardianship problem in the Chicago metropolitan area, Diana Law of Law Elder Law welcomes you to call and find out your options. With her experienced guardianship team, you can rest assured you’re in good hands. Or, if you’d like to find out how to avoid guardianship in the future, give our office a call at 630-585-5200.
Rick L. Law, Attorney, Estate Planner for Retirees
Rick was named the #1 Illinois elder law estate planning attorney by Leading Lawyer Magazine. He has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, AARP Magazine, TheStreet.com, and numerous newspapers and articles. Rick is the lead attorney for Law Elder Law, LLP, focusing in Estate Planning, Guardianship, and Nursing Home Solutions. His goal is to give retirees an informed edge when it comes to dealing with an uncertain future. Get flexible retirement strategies that work during good times and bad, plus information on how you can save your home and assets from being used to pay for long term care. Call 800-310-3100 for your free consultation now!