Finding the Right Nursing Home
January 17, 2015
By Rick Law of Law Elder Law. Estate Planning services and senior advocates in Aurora, IL — Right off the I-88 Farnsworth Exit.
When you are trying to find the right facility for your loved one, staff training is an important area to examine.
Staff in special care units should take specialized training courses in order to be able to encourage the residents’ independence and help them realize the maximum potential of their mental and physical abilities as their dementia progresses.
Special units often come at an added price.
Here are a few questions to ask:
- Does the facility confirm all incoming residents’ Alzheimer’s diagnosis?
- Is the staff aware of the progressive nature of Alzheimer’s disease, and how do they address the expected changes in the mental and physical abilities of the residents?
- Are all of the employees in the special unit (the housekeepers, maintenance workers, etc.) given some training regarding Alzheimer’s?
- Are the buildings and grounds designed for people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease?
- Are the resident activities appropriate for people with Alzheimer’s?
It is important to realize early on in the nursing home search that this type of care is expensive. Fees can be as expensive as $100,000 per year or more. Most insurance plans do not cover this type of long-term care and neither does Medicare.
Fortunately, Medicaid is available for qualified individuals. Medicaid is a federally funded, state-administered medical assistance program.
Too many families needlessly lose everything they have. Don’t let that be you. If you need help building a fortress around your estate to protect it from creditors, predators, and the cost of chronic disease, give our office a call at 800-310-3100. Your first consultation is absolutely free. We’ll let you know what steps you need to take, right now, to protect yourself and your family. Call now, because when you’re out of money, you’re out of options!
Rick L. Law, Attorney, Estate Planner for Retirees.
Rick was named the #1 Illinois elder law estate planning attorney by Leading Lawyer Magazine. He has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, AARP Magazine, TheStreet.com, and numerous newspapers and articles. Rick is the lead attorney for Law Elder Law, LLP, focusing in Estate Planning, Guardianship, and Nursing Home Solutions. His goal is to give retirees an informed edge when it comes to dealing with an uncertain future. Get flexible retirement strategies that work during good times and bad, plus information on how you can save your home and assets from being used to pay for long term care.