Finding the Right Nursing Home
By Rick Law of Law Elder Law. Estate Planning services and senior advocates in Aurora, IL — Right off the I-88 Farnsworth Exit. When you are trying to find the right facility for your loved one, staff training is an important area to examine. Staff in special care units should take specialized training courses in order to be able to encourage the residents’ independence and help them realize the maximum potential of their mental and physical abilities as their dementia progresses. Special units often come at an added price. Here are a few questions to ask:
- Does the facility confirm all incoming residents’ Alzheimer’s diagnosis?
- Is the staff aware of the progressive nature of Alzheimer’s disease, and how do they address the expected changes in the mental and physical abilities of the residents?
- Are all of the employees in the special unit (the housekeepers, maintenance workers, etc.) given some training regarding Alzheimer’s?
- Are the buildings and grounds designed for people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease?
- Are the resident activities appropriate for people with Alzheimer’s?